Monday, February 16, 2015

Tips on preparing your own baby food

It has almost been a month since I started preparing Milly's food. I've totally ditched the ready-to-eat fruits in a jar and sweet rice oats because I want to cook Milly's food my way. One benefit of cooking your baby's own food is you know what are the contents of the food you're giving your baby. Ready made fruit jars contain sugars and preservatives to prolong its shelf life, and I don't want my daughter to suffer its long term side effects.




I go to the market every other day to buy fresh vegetables and fruits that I will need to prep Milly's food. I do not store her food by batches because I always want to give her fresh pureed fruits and vegetables. The maximum days I store her food in the fridge is 3-days already. Good thing my daughter isn't a picky eater and she eats whatever I prepare her. 

What I also love about preparing her own food is I can experiment the ingredients I want to give her. This way I would know what are her favorite fruits and veggies and what type of food she has allergies with. 

Here are some tips I want to share if you plan to make your own baby food. 

* You do not need the high end food processors out there. As long as you have a fully functional blender in your kitchen, you're good to go. You can make purees out of blender! 

* Buy BPA free  food storage for babies. You do not need the expensive ones (like avent or other brands). A storage is still a storage, what's important is its BPA free and safe for freezing too. 

* If you do not have a blender, you may use fork to mash certain type of vegetables and fruits.

* Buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Make sure the fruit is already ripe because some unripened fruit can cause constipation. 

* If you have a budget, you may buy a non- electric food processor. Mostly, these processors are already complete - It already includes the masher, juicer, food puree, spoon and bowl. If you want an electric one, you can buy Magic Baby Bullet. 

* Do not change your baby's food everyday. If you want to offer her different types of fruits and veggies, do this every 3 days. That way you would know if your baby will have any allergic reaction to certain foods. This is really effective because from this, I learned that my daughter is allergic to OATMEAL. 

* Taste first before you give any food to your baby. 

* Never return unfinished food in the fridge.

* Use a serving spoon and her own bowl. Do not put too much food on her bowl. Try 3-4 tablespoons first and check if your baby is in the mood to eat. In my case, I've noticed that Milly has different eating patterns. There are times that she eats a lot and there are days when she can only consume 4 tablespoons of purees fruits and veggies

* Do not afraid to experiment and combine different types of fruits and veggies. I didn't know that squash, apple and banana is a good combination until I tried it! ;) 

* Enjoy making food for your baby. It surely is fulfilling if you see your little one enjoy the food you prepare for them. Remember, Mommies Make the best food ever! 



21 comments:

  1. i used to use a manual food grinder, ok din :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a manual food grinder too, actually yung complete set, not the grinder. kaso di ko ma figure out talaga kung paano gamitin yung pang puree. hehe

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is nice! I will take note of this when I'll start to feed Johann solids na. And yes tama ka dun sa allergy precautions na wag palit ng palit ng food. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup mommy! :) very effective nga yun, much better pa nga daw if 4 days. Super oaky pati, kasi mas madali mo malalaman kung saan may allergy yung anak mo if the time comes na meron nga.
      nakaka sad lang kasi my daughter has allergic reactions sa oatmeal. too bad, super like pa naman nya yung oatmeal

      Delete
  3. Nothing compares to baby food prepared by mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely agree with you! That's why i miss my mom so much. sigh! kahit na may asawa na ako, and minsan may tiga luto, iba parin talag aluto ng mga nanay ; )

      Delete
  4. You're totally right. Moms don't need baby-specific processors; a fork and the blender will do fine. I also like Munchkin's fresh food feeder but I wasn't able to get one when my son was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one like yung sa munchkin, pero ibang brand naman sya. kaso di sya gusto ng baby ko :( diba ito yung parang may net then dun nilalagay yung fruits? :)
      Though based sa nabasa ko, hindi daw ito advisable, kasi yung babies daw mas dapat matuto kumain, kasi more on parang sipsip ang nanyayari sa food feeder :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, I never bought food processors for my baby. he was happy eating mashed veggies. Lols! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACtually mommy, ako wala talaga ako plan bumili ng food processor. nasira lang yung blender ko sa bahay, and gusto ko makagawa ng mabilisan kaya napabili ako ng baby bullet. ehehe.

      Delete
  6. We used to just use a fork I think, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids nowadays are luckier since parents know better. I used fork to mash my kiddos food too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to do this to my daughter. Now, I'm preparing to do this to my soon-to-be-born baby. Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to give my baby puree too kaso biglang ayaw na nya. Yun pala gusto yung baby led weaning type. I got a baby bullet here. Ok naman sya. Until now gamit sa blended fruits and veggies na gusto kong parang i-juice. Hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Preparing your own baby food has its advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used fork and blender too! On my next baby, I want to try baby-led eating so I don't have to prepare mashed food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips. It will surely help mommies who also wanted to prepare their own baby food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids are toddlers already so we don't prepare "baby food" for them anymore. When they were babies, though, I've always prepared home-made food for them. I never relied on food in jars as well. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also used to do the same for my babies when making baby food. Mashed veggies are the way to go! This is such a helpful post for new mommies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of the things I loved to do when my son was still a baby. Preparing his food is somehow therapeutic for me. Haha! Plus, it's good for him too so, it's a win-win situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! I also do most of these when my daughter was still a baby.

    ReplyDelete

Lazada Philippines
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...