Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Maternal instinct

Have you ever looked at your child, shed a tear and asked how did you manage to raise your baby? I don’t know why and how, but as soon as I gave birth and brought my daughter home, my maternal instinct just kicked in. My very own intuition told me how to do things the right way.


To share you a piece of me, my mom died few months before I gave birth. She was the one who’s supposed to babysit my daughter as soon as I return to work from my 4-month long maternity leave. To tell you honestly, I really don’t know anything about taking care of babies. I don’t know how to bathe them, feed them, pacify them - I was clueless that time. I didn’t even know if I was doing the right thing the moment I came from the hospital.  As painful as it may sound, no blood relatives visited me that is why I am very thankful to my husband, in laws and friends (you know who you are) for supporting me after I gave birth.  I almost went through postpartum depression. I know I am a strong person, but still it’s different if there’s someone you can talk to regarding what you’re going through like the pains and joys of motherhood and experiences in the labor room. Someone who can understand what you went through is the best person you can talk to, and for me that time, it was my mom whom I need to talk to during that phase of my life.

My husband and I were clueless with everything, and we were too anxious how to take care of our daughter. The pain from CS was excruciating but I managed to keep up with it just to take care of her 24/7. We didn’t have a go to person and a guide who can help us teach the basics of baby care that time. Experience really is the best teacher and we'd like to give ourselves credit for that. We know that we are newbie parents and still have a long way to go, but right now, our daughter is our pride and we know deep in our hearts that we are doing a good job nurturing her. I am so grateful to have a husband who is so hands-on in taking care of our baby. Just like me, he was also inexperienced, but right now, I can proudly say that he is becoming more of an expert. Thank you too, to my mommy friends for sharing your pieces of mommy information with me. 

Our daughter is turning 9 months few days from now, and I am so thankful that God gave women the power to nurture a child. Without this gift, I know I wouldn’t be able to raise a very healthy and beautiful baby girl. Maternal instinct is so true, because with it, I am able to nurture and see our daughter grow right in front of our eyes. 





To my daughter Milly, you may be too young to understand what I am writing right now, but when you're old enough to read this, I hope you can appreciate all the things your dad and I are doing for you.  Thanks too for bringing out the maternal instinct in me. Because of you, I have learned to love deeper and to appreciate kids even more. We love you and always will. 


16 comments:

  1. sis, nakakaiyak :'( pero sis marami ako natututunan sayo. :) for that, salamat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salamat sis sa pagbasa! mwah! Hope to see you soon. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Milly is gorgeous!! Her Grandma is sure to be watching her from above.

    Nice to know more of you, Katrina. I too gave birth via CS and had no one else to turn to for help. It was just me and Hubby -- that on the 4th day after giving birth, I was already doing laundry. But we made it through. We Moms won't realize how tough we are until we have no one to turn to.

    visiting from www.mrspinkihan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! :) Our bodies work like superheroes talaga.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your loss sis. Your mom is your baby's guardian angel now. Milly is so adorable. You're doing a great job nurturing her :)

    www.jacquelineuy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thank you so much for the kind words mommy!

      Delete
  4. Your baby is sooo pretty! Anyway, yes, maternal instincts is true and they kick in as soon as you need them. I, too, didn't go through any training, it just came naturally to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about your mother's passing BUT congratulations on your daughter, she's so adorable! This is what we called, LIFE! You will meet people along the way... and that will give you a realization how beautiful (still) life is. Well, that is what I am trying to accept for I lost my husband about 2 years ago. You said you are strong so keep it up and enjoy motherhood / parenting more. See you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. she is so adorable :) <3 and im sure worth every heartache :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your Mom sis. But I commend you for trying to be the best Mom you can be for your pretty baby! Me too, I wasn't prepared to be a Mom but when my boy was born, every maternal instinct I had kicked in. Bless your good soul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your baby is so cute! I'm glad to know that the maternal instinct really does kick in after the baby's birth. Thank you for an inspirational post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is so beautiful. You've done a great job sister! You lost your mom while I didn't have one since I was young. I gave birth din CS pero I don't know anything about it. Like you, my lola who took care of me died one month after I got married. Losing my grandmother left a very big hole in my heart. My husband and I also learned everything our own. Kahit may in laws ako, we live in a separate house. Mahirap na masarap and you will love your daughter more, like I do, kasi we did it all on our own. Di ba wagi sister :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your mom passing away... but for sure she is super happy watching over her adorable apo growing so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a doing a great job at motherhood sis, and looking at her photos, I can sense that you've raised a happy baby and beautiful, too! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sabi nga .. kahit anu pa man ang sakit na mararamdman mo sa panganganak ay pawi laht ng dahil sa maganda mong anak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off, sorry about the loss of your mom. I went through CS and didn't know what to do din. My mom helped me through everything. I couldn't imagine what you went through. Nakakaiyak ang story mo and I'm so glad to have read this to see that there are so many strong women out there and you are one of them. Keep it up sis, you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete

Lazada Philippines
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...